|In Singapore, 2 days before the big 25!|
While wandering around a cosmopolitan and presently rainy Singapore today it struck me that in just a few dozen hours I'll be experiencing a major milestone: my 25th birthday! Of course I know the date well( December 3rd, thankyouverymuch!) but somehow in my first of three solid months of travel I've lost track of the days. Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore...the time has flown and suddenly I find myself standing at the doorstep of a quarter century. Yikes!
Yes, 25 fills my insides with a sharp dread! I can remember being a pre-teen imagining where I'd be at 25 (hint: not in exotic Asia!). I figured that by this quite elderly age I would be shining at some fabulous career, Pomeranian and boyfriend/husband in tow, dream house in the background. I suppose I didn't have what we'll call a realistic understanding of life at age 13. Suffice to say, that at 13 I never could have guessed that at 25 I would be living abroad and traveling so often. But here I am! And for the record, I think it's safe to say that at 25, I prefer the way things have turned out!
|Having a great time in St. Martin! I <3 the Caribbean!|
I may not have the dream house, boyfriend, career quite yet but I do have travel. In my 25 years I've been to 28 countries in Asia, North America, the Caribbean, Central America and Europe. I've lived abroad in Thailand, an experience that has pushed me and tested me and rewarded me more than anything else in my life so far. I've traveled solo in Myanmar and in 3 more countries since! I've met people from every corner of the world, expanded my culinary pallet, challenged myself and learned so much about this big, beautiful world and about myself. Travel has broadened an enriched my life in a way that all those "normal" things I previously wanted never could have.
I still have tons of questions about turning 25. What am I going to do when I grow up?!?! How will I ever pay off my student loans? Where should I live? What should I do?? Exactly which country do I need to move to in order to find a male human who will date me???At least with travel I can always ask myself that ever tempting question: Where should I go next?
|Just chilling in Mingun, Myanmar!|
In commemoration of my 25th year on this amazing planet I have decided to celebrate with travel. For every year I have been alive I've traveled in some way or another. (Mom taking me to Nana & Pop Pop's house in Ohio at age 1 totally counts). So for every year I've traveled I want to list one thing I've learned. Some of these points are about travel and people in general and others are things I've learned about myself.
I hope you guys enjoy!
Thank you for reading & thanks for celebrating my 25th birthday with me :)
Feel free to help me celebrate my birthday over at facebook <3
25 Things I've Learned in 25 Years of Travel
1.Travel is exhilarating.
2. I'm braver than I think I am.
3. Sometimes things just go wrong like that island hopping trip in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
5. Always leave room in your suitcase for souvenirs!
|At Chichen Itza, Mexico.|
6. The world is super huge but it's also a small world.
7. I'm partial to beaches and cities.
8. It's ok to pack cute shoes, make up, your hair appliance, beauty products etc. if it makes you happy.
9. Coming home is part of the adventure.
10.Travel friends are the best!
|I'm ON A BOAT! Once again in the Caribbean <3|
11. If your gut is telling you something, it's probably right.
12. Solo Travel is empowering.
13. Travel makes me strong and independent.
14. When you're traveling solo there's no shame in taking selfies!
15. Southeast Asia is a safe and beautiful place for female travelers.
|Zip lining for the FIRST time ever over the rain forests of Costa Rica|
16. I'm that girl with the pink suitcase. And I don't care if you think it's silly!
17. Don't get stuck in a travel rut-mix up your travel styles!
18. It's ok to pamper yourself from time to time.
19. I'm not a backpacker. (Hello GLAMpacker! <3)
20. The travel bug is a life long ailment.
|Halong Bay, Vietnam.|
21. Sometimes travel is uncomfortable.
22. Cruising is actually really fun and delicious!
23. I still don't like sea food.
24. It's worth it to follow your dreams. You never know where they might take you!
25. I'll be a traveler for the rest of my life.
What things have YOU learned from travel?
You can check out more of my world travel photos here:- don't forget to LIKE my facebook page to keep up with my latest travels plus daily travel inspiration.
HAPPY TRAVELS! <3